Wine is something I drink but I know little about. Movies like SIDEWAYS makes me want to learn more about it but part of me thinks it's all pretentious. Today, I visited some wineries in Napa Valley and that was some kind of an experience.

Day 3 in USA. We had a day off so some of us went up there to taste some wine. Of course, I got totally wasted after the 3rd winery. To be honest, I couldn't tell a good wine from a great wine. They all kind of tasted the same after a few sips. But I really enjoyed it. And I learned a few things about wine.

Of course, I had to visit Rubicon Estate, formerly known as Niebaum-Coppola, the Francis Ford Coppola's winery (second picture from left). Unlike some tacky places, the building and the decor were tasteful. One of my favorite ones was RC Reserve 2004, named after his son Roman Coppola. What can I say? Like I said, I know nothing about wine but I liked this one.

Later, we stopped by at Opus One, allegedly the best Californian winery, a co-venture between Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, to create a single Bordeaux style blend based on Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Now I sound like an expert. :) Anyhow, a tasting fee was $30 for half a glass. Man, that was intimidating. And it tasted good.

But I'm sure if you've been drinking since 11 in the morning, anything in the late afternoon must taste good.

Tomorrow I go to LA and will also visit Sundance briefly before returning to Korea. I come back to this region next month and for sure, I'm going back Napa Valley.

Comments

Popular Posts