Sundance Film Festival. Exactly 10 years ago, I had a film there. So it was interesting to revisit the site where I had both excitement and disappointment. Excitement... because it opened doors for me. Disappointment... because my career didn't exactly pan out as I wanted it to be. From the class of 98, Bill Condon (Dreamgirls) and Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream) are definitely doing well. Am I jealous? Maybe. But I have no regrets. A friend I met at Sundance 10 years ago just told me over the dinner that my 40's would be wonderful. To even think I'm entering 40's with just two movies under the belt... I have a lot to catch up.

I was just in Park City for 3 nights. I'd been there numerous times but this is the year I didn't have any agenda. Except for watching a few movies and catching up with some old friends. It was certainly interesting to see the new filmmakers having a blast. But underneath, I know they're quite worrying if their movie hasn't been sold to Fox Searchlight. I've certainly been there.

Life produces interesting things for you. My last night at Sundance, I ran into Quentin Tarantino, the man I had a brief friendship with 10 years ago in New York. Of course, he was already a big filmmaker. Through some friends, we used to hang out together a lot and he even came to my 30th birthday dinner. In my intoxicated, emotional state, I confessed to him that I felt miserable after Sundance and didn't know what to do next. Then, he said, there would be thousands who would kill to be in my shoes. That I should enjoy it. I was a young filmmaker who just had a film at Sundance. My 30's would be exciting. In my delirium, I thought I would get an Oscar nomination in my 30's.

I don't see my career/life as a failure. I think I learned a few things about life. It humbled me. I believe I have a few things to share with others. Although I'm focusing on producing at the moment, I haven't given up on directing. I just want to make a lot of movies. Movies not you just seek out on the Internet but movies that will reach you at your local theater. :)

(At the screening of Bottle Shock, a would-be crowd pleaser but poorly directed.
It would've made an interesting documentary)

Comments

Popular Posts