Robert Altman passed away. Everyone knows he was a maverick filmmaker. One of the finest American filmmakers in the latter half of the 20th century. But that's not what I'm going to talk about here.

I just want to recall my encounter with him 10 years ago. It was at Cannes. I was still one of the kids trying to make his first movie. Luckily, one of my good friends had just won an Oscar. So I got on the flight to Cannes, hoping I'll meet a producer or investor. Eventually, I met my Korean producer there who found money for my movie so it was worth the trip. But the real treat for the trip was my dinner with Mr. Altman. A few nights before, I ran into a friend who introduced me to a fellow named Matthew. We had fun. Drinking until the wee hours. Turned out he was Altman's son. I tagged along when he went to join his parents for dinner. Robert and his wife Kathryn welcomed me as if I was a very good friend of their son's. They were sweet. I could not believe this was Robert Altman and he was like my friend's dad. When I mentioned I was planning to make my first movie, he took a special interest in what I had to say. He gave me a lot of encouraging words.

10 years have passed. I've directed only two movies and this old man has made 6 movies
since then. You forget he is a man in his 80's.

It would've been amazing to meet him again. He would've been happy to hear I started my filmmaking career.

If there was a film studio in heaven, he would be making movies there. Wait, he's an indie filmmaker. He would be working outside the studio system.

Mr. Altman, wherever you may be, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comments

Popular Posts