LOST IN TOKYO...

I'm now in Tokyo. The last time I was here was 18 years ago and I didn't really dig it back then. Now I'm absolutely fascinated by the city, the people and especially the Nigerians in Roppongi. How the hell did they end up here? I'm talking about those bouncers/managers/possibly pimps out on the street, hustling. That suddenly reminds of the Oscar winning song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from HUSTLE & FLOW.

Speaking of which, I'm so happy for Ang Lee and Philip Seymour Hoffman but what an upset that CRASH won the Best Picture! But in a way, it was predictable. CRASH is a good film with many flaws, which were somehow covered by some outstanding performances. Is it Oscar worthy? I don't know. Many great movies don't get recognized by the Oscars. It's ironic that CRASH won in the year Robert Altman received the honorary Oscar whose brilliant SHORT CUTS, as usual, was overlooked by the Oscars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi.
I was also a bit taken aback when I saw them giving the oscar for best picture to "Crash"... it was weird...
As I said on a comment before, Philip Seymour Hoffman is my 2nd fav actor, right after Jared Harris, and I was so happy that he won the Oscar :D
It's just so great...
And what the hell was that with the pimp song? that was an Oscar given away...

Hope you're doing well!

Minerva

Popular Posts