When you write a screenplay, you know writing is the hardest part of filmmaking. Then, you start looking for a producer or money, you realize financing is harder. Then, you start casting (of course, without money, no cast will do your movie or without cast, no money comes your way), you encounter the ultimate challenge.

Who's right for the part? Who wants to take a chance with me? Who do I want to work with?

Emotionally it's a strange process. Let's say you have a certain actor in mind. You know he's perfect for your movie. Then, that person is either way out of your league or simply passes, what do you do? You move on to the next person. Letting go is hard. But you live with it. It's like a relationship. You think it's the end of the world but you haven't met your soul mate yet. That's how I want to look at my work.

Last week, I saw a movie and a certain actor in it was just wonderful. While watching it, I knew he would be my lead. But what if he's not available? I don't want to get crushed. Who is he? I don't want to jinx it. We started talking to his agent. So far good. Hopefully we'll know sooner or later if he's my Jeremy.

Comments

Popular Posts