The Secret Life of Wonsuk Chin

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty may not be a perfect movie but it turned out to be a perfect one for me at this juncture in my life.

Walter and I may not have much in common but I used to have an active imagination like him. I don't zone out like him but man, I was so many things in my dreams. Lately, I don't do that any more maybe because my dream kind of came true. Yes, I became a filmmaker, the one dream of my life. But the reality set in and many years went by without me doing anything satisfactory.

If you know a little about my career, I made a couple of interesting features at the turn of the century and then didn't do anything for a while. It wasn't like I wasn't trying. After "Expats" fell apart, I tried to be a producer, a distributor, and even a radio jockey. Nothing substantial.

Although it sucks to be a struggling filmmaker, there's nothing like making movies, where my imagination can run amok. So I went back to writing and if you're connected to me on Twitter or any other social media, you know I wrote a screenplay called "Ape of Wrath," a comedic mockumentary, a sort of cross between Ed Wood and This Is Spinal Tap. Just like Walter Mitty got on the plane to Greenland, I am embarking on this exciting yet nerve-wrecking journey.


Coincidentally, I visited Greenland last year, something I never thought I would ever do. It was an incredible experience. Standing in front of all those icebergs and glaciers, I realize how beautiful our planet is. Over there, life was HFR 3D. Being alive is a great thing. Being relatively healthy is a blessing. Being driven to make movies is what I am here for.

So here I am, discarding cynicism and doubt, pursuing my dream once again. And yes, my dreams are vividly back in technicolor again.

Comments

Nikki said…
I remember when you were a radio jockey. Hard to believe that was a year ago. Loved that show. Ape of Wrath. That must be exciting! Enjoy the journey!
Unknown said…
Thank you, Nikki. I did enjoy being a radio jockey. And I appreciate your listenership back then. Hopefully you'll enjoy my movies as well. Thanks again for your kind words.

Popular Posts