Saw Doctor Zhivago on the big screen yesterday. I remember falling in love with Julie Christie when I first saw it on the TV as a teenager. Time has passed and I seem to have a different reaction to it now. First of all, it was quite interesting to see a film devoid of CGI. Also the pacing was deliberate. The ideology was somewhat naive. But one thing was timeless. That's the emotion of the story. And the decency of human nature. That seems to be the motto of David Lean.

In this cynical age, I long for decency. Which I recognize in Billy Wilder films. In the midst of Facebook and Twitter, I have forgotten what my life should be about. To tell such stories. One can change and one can't change.

Currently, a David Lean retrospective is going on in Seoul. The prints may not be great but it's a privilege to see his films on the big screen... the way the movies were meant to be. If you live here or are visiting, do me a favor. Go check it out. It's playing until May 17th.

Unfortunately, there's no English website for the information but if you go to the cinematheque site, all the necessary information can be obtained even if you don't understand Korean.






Comments

Popular Posts